I think the best word to describe the Plym on crisp winter days like this is glassy.
My New Year’s resolutions was to blog more. So far, I’ve not really achieved that. However, I shall amend!
Perhaps I’ll set aside some time specifically for blogging. I’m trying to spent less time at a computer, but I’ve seeped back into my bad habit of browsing Reddit too much, clicking pretty much every link in all the subreddits I follow & this gets me nowhere. I think what I need to do is make sure the time I do spend on the internet is not wasted, & I reckon blogging is a fairly productive use of the web.
Since I haven’t properly posted in a while, a roundup of things I’d usually have posted:
- Wore bike brakepads through to metal.
- Finally replaced bike pedals (the bearings had gone), new ones only fit toe cages if they’re on backwards, it works though, shrugs.
- Watched American Hustle (impressed, might be seeing it again tomorrow too), Citizen Kane (unimpressed, what’s all the fuss about?) & Twelve Years a Slave (depressed, very worthy of its awards).
- Possibility of going on a fortnight-long road trip with my sister across the west coat of America in September has arisen.
- Had my interview with my university supervisor about my industrial year & how I am getting on which went really well.
- Student loan came in, aw yeah.
- I really want a Sony Xperia Z Compact.
- Flatmate almost bought a fixed gear bike because of me.
- Not taken very many photos lately because, in terms of physics, photography relies on light & to be honest, there hasn’t been a great deal of that around. Wasn’t pitch black cycling home from work today though.
- For the last fortnight I’ve got soaked by the near constant deluge the sky is currently delivering unto the UK’s second wettest city cycling home from work. Every. Single. Day.
- I made the biggest butternut squash curry ever. Imagine the biggest curry you can. It’s bigger than that.
- Played an awful lot of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Really want to preorder the next one now.
- I’m doing a month of non-drinking! I’m currently two weeks in & I feel like I’ve saved a lot of money & not missed out on that much really.
- Bought a proper VPS! It’s far superior to my old (free) one. So now I can do proper hosting .etc.
There’ll be more. Plus I have lots of photos I need to post!
Probably should have replaced these a long time ago.
New profile picture.
Wasn’t a fun idea
To look back through my favourited tweets. I thought I’d find lots of good memories & funny things, but that ended up being really overshadowed by the amount of tweets related to people who are no longer part of my life.
I don’t think I’m sad that they’re no longer features of my life. On the contrary, I tell myself, I feel better without them. Sure, they were good people to know at a time, but now I’ve moved on, so have they & we’re all different people now. I do feel sad though.
To be honest, things didn’t end well with the people I’m completely nonspecifically talking about. Things never had any closure, it’s a bit jagged & cutting. Raw.
But also it’s a sadness from not having anyone care about me like that any more. I’ve been alone for a long time, I don’t often feel being liked, but now I’m reminded of those times & I miss them. This is like my usual loneliness times five.
I’ve hoped for a bit that I’d be able to talk to friends about these things but I’m writing vague post about it instead as I’m not good at talking. I can only talk about things in writing sometimes.
Trying Moves - a simple sort of pedometer app. I set a high score with 13,673 on Monday but today is pretty paltry.
Last night was a lot of fun. It wasn’t perhaps the greatest of nights out, but the people I was with - these guys - made it great.
I failed to find anything I wanted or needed in the sales, but I took some decent photos on my phone.
Anonymous asks: me gusta mucho tu blog me paso de vez en cuando a ver las fotos y relatos que pones en ellas es increíble el tiempo que le dedicas a las cosas para que salgan bien un saludo y un abrazo muy grande
I had to look up translation online for this I’m afraid. Big thank yous though! :)
My current listening has been a mixed bag. Lots of POLIÇA, old Kasier Chiefs, Lady Gaga, Madness & Queens of the Stone Age.
& rediscovering this album. Once upon a time I used to be able to play all of Books From Boxes on guitar. Loved that intro bit, it was the most complex thing I could play, will always mean something special to me for that.
This is a different song though, & this song is in my head.
Yesterday, some colleagues & I spontaneously decided to go to Totnes for the Christmas markets. When work finished at half five, Shane, Kevin & I literally ran to the station for the six o’clock train which was pretty crammed - a sign of things to come as this photo of the high street proves.
Now I had previously heard a lot about Totnes from one of the other industrial year students - Steve - as he’s from there. Mainly the stories centred on the bad points, but we were pleasantly surprised by the town! Really quaint & an amazing high street - one which isn’t completely decimated by chain shops (quite a rare thing). Definitely far nicer than my hometown.
Steve, having lived there, gave us all (except Kevin who wandered off) a nostalgia-hinted tour of the town, showing us the sites & taking us to two of his regular pubs where we drank gorgeous strong cider (as someone who mainly drinks cider, this part of the world is completely awesome) with mulled cider to last us the trip between. We talked about our hometowns & tech connections & formulated the idea of a simple cryptocurrency conversions app which could make some decent money as they’re hot topic right now. I actually wrote a prototype when I got back in an hour or two, the only problem was getting more HTTP 502s than 200s with the API I was using. Might work on that further this weekend.
Anyway, also involved a lot of singing badly & perhaps somewhat drunkly. Us three are getting pretty good at Bohemian Rhapsody if I do say so myself. One of the (many) work Christmas parties involves karaoke so we’ll have to see, aha.
Possibly the funniest thing I’ve ever seen - someone replaced the dragon model in Skyrim with Thomas the Tank Engine.
New claim to fame
It’s tenuous but I’ve sent satellite data to the same research vessel that discovered the wreck of the Titanic.